May 24, 2012

Wow, Back to Blogging?

Today it seems like everyone has a blog. I had one years ago...but looking back at it, I have banished to the black abyss of deleted Internet files. It was mostly about boys I liked and my "interesting" life as a fifteen year old. Nope! I don't want to relive any of that, and I'm sure the people of the Internet wouldn't either. 
A little about myself. I am nineteen years old, and just off on summer vacation from my freshman year of school. I know, the title says I am a college student. I thought I should probably start my blog during the summer and make a habit of it before I start school. I went away for college my last two semesters, but I've opted to stay closer to home this time. Part of that is due to the homesickness I felt at school. The rest of it, I'll explain in a bit. I am an Education major. I can't wait to be an elementary school teacher! I had planned to be a high school teacher and major in either Theater or English, but through an internship for my education class last semester I have found my real passion is with younger students. This summer the thing I've missed most about school (besides all those friends I made and then had to leave, of course) are those cute kids! 
I am a writer! I have tried writing so many times in the past, but I think I've found a story I can stick to. Right before school ended I went to a writing conference that really inspired me. I feel like this is my time! Also, by writing this blog, I'll be in the mood to write more often. And any writing is better than none if I get stuck in my novel. My biggest dream is that I can write a book that will become a classic and make my name known long after I am gone. I want to reach out and touch lives, even if its only to entertain them.
I am a faithful member of my faith. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ! I know God listens to and answers my prayers. I have a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon, and God's other scriptures. I know we have a prophet on earth today, and he receives revelations from God for His children on Earth. I love the church and the strength it gives me. I am so grateful for Christ's atonement. Through him I can repent and return to live with my eternal family someday. I cannot wait for the day that I can be sealed for time and all eternity to the love of my life.  
I am a hopeless romantic! I always have been. I remember having my first "boyfriend" in kindergarten. I made him push me and all my friends on the swings under threat of breaking up with him, and I chased him down and kissed him. Sadly, up until some minor romance in high school and a little in college, that had been the most play I'd gotten in my life. Then I met the man of my dreams...or so I thought. 
I had known this man before he left for an LDS mission, but we hadn't been very close friends. Then one weekend when I was visiting my family last November he asked me out on a date. The date was the best I'd ever been on! A week later he visited me at school (driving 100+ miles to see me) and we became "official". One week later we said we loved each other. Four weeks after that we were engaged. And six months after we started officially dating, I broke up with him. 
This was quite recently, actually, and I'm still struggling to get over it. I really loved him, and I wanted nothing more than to be his wife. But something happened that opened my eyes. He was unable to take me to the temple, and tried to push me to marry him civilly. I loved him, and wanted to marry him, but that was not what I wanted. This opened my eyes to some other problems in our relationship, and through a lot of prayer and a few priesthood blessings (so grateful that I live in a home where I have a dad who is willing to give me a blessing whenever I need one!) I came to the realization that we shouldn't be getting married. I wanted to wait for him to realize this, but one day he kind of steered the conversation in that direction, and I ended up breaking up with him. I still feel like I love him, but the confirmation from the Spirit was a message from God. I know that I'm doing the right thing, and that it will be better for the both of us in the long run.
Okay, so I guess my first life lesson is... WAIT! A lot of people get caught up in love, though I don't think anyone would do what I did unless they knew it was absolutely 100% right for them. What I learned from this was that when I find the man I am meant to marry, I am going to date him for a long while, and then make sure our engagement is a short one. I want to make absolutely sure that he is the right one, and not get surprised when the going gets tough. 
Thanks for reading I guess? I hope I haven't already bored you. Now, my posts probably won't run as long as this one every time I post, and they probably won't be as heavily toned. I'll be trying to post at least weekly. 

--Lexi Lou

0 comments:

How's My Weight Loss Going?